Pune to host two IPL playoff matches

ipl1.jpg

The IPL Governing Council has accepted a request by the Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) to award the two playoff games this season to Pune. These games include the Eliminator and Qualifier 2.

“For the play-off, there was a suggestion that since Rising Pune Supergiant (which is now defunct) was the runners-up last time, we should give first priority to Pune. If the Pune stadium and the wicket is ready, the first priority would be given to Pune, if not, then we will consider Kolkata for the playoffs,” IPL chairman Rajiv Shukla said after the GC meeting on Friday (March 16).

The IPL GC also sought a legal opinion on the matter related to the change of Chennai Super Kings’ ownership and its value. “As far as CSK is concerned, we had Justice AP Shah to give his opinion, who was also the Ombudsman in the BCCI, so his opinion has been accepted,” said Shukla.

Earlier this month, the GMR Group, the owners of the Delhi Daredevils, had sold 50 percent of their stake to the Jindals of the JSW group.

Meanwhile, the fate of India pacer Mohammad Shami, who faces a series of serious allegations levelled by his estranged wife Hasin Jahan continues to hang by a sword.

A decision on whether the 27-year-old can play for the Delhi Daredevils in IPL-11 was postponed at the IPL GC.

It was learnt that the Committee of Administrators (CoA) will take a call on Shami after Neeraj Kumar, head of the Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) of the BCCI submits his report on the fast bowler after a week. On Thursday, Jahan had submitted proof (audio recordings of her conversations with Shami) of her allegations to CoA head Vinod Rai.

“And thirdly as far as Shami is concerned, we’ve decided that we will go by the report of the ACU chief. Whatever his recommendation is, our will be our final decision will be based on that. We’ve nothing to do with anybody’s private life. If Neeraj Kumar’s recommendation gives him a clean chit, then he can play, if he doesn’t, then he won’t. The report will come in next four-five days, so we will wait till it comes,” Shukla said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s