The Chennai Super Kings will have the opportunity to firm up their position at the top of the VVO IPL 2018 standings when they take on the Kolkata Knight Riders in Match 33.
The Knight Riders, who have four wins and as many losses, have blown hot and cold. In their most recent match though, they clinched two points after defeating Royal Challengers Bangalore in Bengaluru. Heading into this match, KKR have one additional issue to address; the middle-order batsman Nitish Rana appears to be a doubtful starter – after the batsman reported back spasms and retired hurt in the previous match. KKR are limited in the number of options they have, and if Rana hasn’t recovered completely, it could mean the season’s first outing for one of Ishank Jaggi or Apoorv Wankhade.
The Super Kings have looked a complete side, with several individuals making match-winning contributions along the way. The standout feature has been the team’s ability to clinch the key moments and finish off matches. In their most-recent fixture, they blitzed their way to their fourth 200-plus total of the season and then kept their opponents Delhi Daredevils to 15 runs short of what they needed. CSK have few things to worry about, and Dhoni’s decision-making – while hard to assign a logic to – has been magical.
CSK are definitely the more comfortable of the two teams at the moment, and KKR, who are just about in the top four, will want the two points to stay in the top four and create a distance with the teams in the bottom half.
When: May 3, 08:00 PM IST
Venue: Eden Gardens, Kolkata
The Eden Gardens track is considered as one of the better batting surfaces although spinners tend to come into action as the match wears on. Spinners have enjoyed bowling here in IPL games as well.
Venue Stats IPL
|Matches won batting first||24|
|Matches won bowling first||41|
|Average 1st Inns scores||155|
|Average 2nd Inns scores||142|
|Highest total recorded||204/2 (18.2 Ov) by KXIP vs KKR|
|Lowest total recorded||49/10 (9.4 Ov) by RCB vs KKR|
|Highest score chased||204/2 (18.2 Ov) by KXIP vs KKR|
|Lowest score defended||114/4 (20 Ov) by CSK vs KKR|
Head to Head
|Total Matches Play||17|
|Won by Kolkata Knight Riders||6|
|Won by Chennai Super Kings||11|
Head to Head at Eden Gardens, Kolkata
|Total Matches Play||7|
|Won by Kolkata Knight Riders||3|
|Won by Chennai Super Kings||4|
Teams’ Form in their Last Five Matches (most recent first)
Kolkata Knight Riders: W L L W W
Chennai Super Kings: W L W W W
Kolkata Knight Riders
Nitish Rana, who had to retire hurt in the game against RCB, suffered a lower back spasm. In case he is unfit, KKR could choose between Ishank Jaggi and Rinku Singh.
Chennai Super Kings
Sam Billings can replace Faf du Plessis
Kolkata Knight Riders : Chris Lynn, Sunil Narine, Robin Uthappa, Nitish Rana, Dinesh Karthik, Shubman Gill, Andre Russell, Shivam Mavi, Piyush Chawla, Mitchell Johnson, Kuldeep Yadav, Rinku Singh, Tom Curran, Ishank Jaggi, Prasidh Krishna, Vinay Kumar, Apoorv Wankhade, Cameron Delport, Javon Searles
Chennai Super Kings : Shane Watson, Faf du Plessis, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, MS Dhoni, Dwayne Bravo, Ravindra Jadeja, Karn Sharma, Harbhajan Singh, Lungi Ngidi, KM Asif, Dhruv Shorey, Murali Vijay, Sam Billings, Imran Tahir, Shardul Thakur, David Willey, Kanishk Seth, Mark Wood, Kshitiz Sharma, Monu Kumar, Chaitanya Bishnoi, N Jagadeesan
Kolkata Knight Riders
Sunil Narine, Chris Lynn, Robin Uthappa, Nitish Rana/Rinku Singh, Dinesh Karthik (C & WK), Andre Russell, Shubman Gill, Shivam Mavi, Piyush Chawla, Mitchell Johnson, Kuldeep Yadav.
Chennai Super Kings
Shane Watson, Faf du Plessis / Sam Billings , Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, MS Dhoni (C & WK), Dwayne Bravo, Ravindra Jadeja, Karn Sharma, Harbhajan Singh, Lungi Ngidi, KM Asif
Player to watch
Stats that matter
- Andre Russell can overpower all kinds of bowling. Of particular note in that list is Russell’s Caribbean team-mate Dwayne Bravo. Russell has 216 runs off 102 balls he has faced from Bravo, a strike rate of 211.8 in 17 innings
- Sunil Narine has had the better of Shane Watson, Super Kings’ gun batsman. In 13 T20 innings he has bowled against the Australian, Narine has got Watson six times
- Robin Uthappa needs 23 runs to register 4000 runs in the IPL. Uthappa also needs nine runs to register 1000 runs at Eden Gardens in the IPL
- Piyush Chawla needs two wickets to register 50 wickets for KKR in the IPL. He will become the first player in IPL history to pick up 50-plus wickets for multiple teams. Chawla previously took 84 wickets for Kings XI Punjab
- This IPL, Chris Lynn has been defensive against left-arm spinners: in four innings so far, out of 27 deliveries he has faced against them, he has got 25 runs at a strike rate of 92.6 with a dot ball percentage of 44.4, and has been out twice